Life's a Lesson
Life's a Lesson - By Phoebe
Where do I start? Having been born in a middle class family that relatively struggles to get by, I had my life all planned out. I mean, how hard can it be to get through primary school, struggle with adolescence in high school trying to discover yourself, go to college, start working and when you get your first salary, start testing the waters of relationships trying to find a perfect partner to settle down with and have a family? It was so easy when my mum summed it up for me; I really thought I could conquer the world. Of course I can, it’s just, Life has a twisted way of making life interesting.
You Only Live Once, most say, but at what cost? I come from a loving family where I am sufficiently provided for with what’s only enough, not too much that I can overspend or get choosy. And I am grateful, very, but sometimes you just can’t help but want more than what you have. You can be the good girl, keep off trouble, but it always finds you. One mistake, say, a relationship gone wrong, or one wrong turn and the good image you’ve struggled so bad to maintain, goes down the drain. Sometimes life knocks you down so hard that when you look back, you struggle to remember how you were able to survive.
They say time heals, but I say it’s a choice; whether you want to get back up or stay down. You may have lost someone, and after six years you still can’t move on, it will take a choice to get back Willpower and strength to move on and get your life in order. It all starts with a Choice, whether voluntary, like choosing to have a Sponsor to get by a financial drought, or Involuntary, like a loved one passing on.
Other times, it’s not what happens to you, but to those around you, those you care about, maybe friends, relatives, loved ones, those you trust with your life. That best friend you’ve known since childhood who is as honest and as sincere as they come. But who is unlucky at school, always getting retakes or a pass at best, but strives so hard. Or has kept herself waiting for the perfect husband, and ends up being played over and over again, or has a relationship that leaves her so damaged, you wonder if that innocent side of her was ever even there.
It takes the experiences of others to learn a lesson or associate it with your own. Life happens to us all, no one is special to only enjoy and not suffer. It happens whether or not you make choices. Don’t judge someone for choosing a life that differs from your own, or that doesn’t live up to your moral code or principle, you’ll learn the hard way that Karma is a bitch, that certain things don’t just happen to certain people, they can happen to you too.
Every day brings in itself a different experience, a different expectation, a different lesson. So learn to live in the moment. Learn from the past, don’t dwell on it. Adapt to every situation, never expecting that things will always turn out your way, while working towards and hoping for a better tomorrow. So breathe in the good times, hold your breath during the bad, it shall pass.
Nothing lasts forever. Life molds us, creates and defines us, changes us in a good or bad way, it only depends on how you choose to look at the hand it hits or knocks you with. So brace yourself, it’s never the end, might even be the beginning of something new, I mean, who knows?

Comments
Post a Comment